Trademark Usage Policy
The word "Arastta" and the Arastta logo are trademarks owned by the Arastta Association. We would like to extend fair usage of our trademarks as widely as possible, so we have created the following guidelines to help people understand what is (and isn't) ok.
Permission for Use
Written permission from the Arastta Association is required to use the Arastta name or logo as any part of your project or associated assets. Please contact us on contact[at]arastta.info if you would like to enquire about permission for use.
The purpose of a trademark is not to prevent anyone else in the world from using it, it is to prevent confusion amongst consumers as to which brand is the "official" one. Our primary criteria for the approval or denial of trademark usage requests is whether or not people might confuse it for an official Arastta Association project.
In some special cases, we will grant automatic permission for a project to use the Arastta trademark. Explicit permission to use the trademark is not required when a project meets the following criteria:
You exclusively use the Arastta trademark to either extend or improve the Arastta software, or to encourage the use of the Arastta software (in short — "foster the Arastta software" ).
- Ok: An open access, free monthly newsletter called "Arastta Weekly"
- Ok: A freely distributed Arastta theme called "Gold Plated Arastta"
- Not Ok: A Arastta fork called "A Non-Sucky Version of Arastta"
- Not Ok: Selling tshirts with the Arastta logo to raise money for another cause
The Arastta trademark is used in a domain name, title of website, seminar, software package, book, magazine or video that is exclusively intended to foster the Arastta software and does not suggest an "official link".
- Automatic Approval: A non-commercial website called howtoinstallarastta.com
- Automatic Approval: A keynote called Getting Started with Arastta
- Requires Permission: A book titled The Official Arastta Guide
- Requires Permission: A commercial website called arasttahosting.com
The Arastta trademark is used for the title of a conference or meet-up, but not in combination with the words: conference, conf, convention or foundation.
- Ok: Arastta Annual Meetup 2013
- Not Ok: ArasttaConf London
You want to display the official Arastta logo (whether for commercial or non-commercial use) in a standalone and unaltered form.
- Ok: Putting the Arastta logo on your product packaging
- Not Ok: Changing the colours or shape of the Arastta logo for your purposes
You want to use the Arastta trademark to describe your product or services without implying any kind of official link to the Arastta Association or the Arastta open source project.
- Ok: referring to your services as specialising in Arastta development
- Not Ok: referring to yourself as The Arastta Consultant
In some specific cases, you will always require explicit permission from the Arastta Association in order to use the Arastta trademark. Even if you meet the criteria for automatic approval, you must always seek permission for trademark use if your project meets any of the following criteria:
The use of the Arastta trademark suggests an "official link" between your product or service and the Arastta Association. For example:
- A domain called officialarasttafaq.org
- A company called Arastta Development Ltd
- A website titled Arastta Support Agency
The Arastta trademark is used as part of a "arastta.tld" domain name. For example:
The Arastta trademark is used as part of a domain name that covers an entire category of products or services that are relevant to the Arastta community. For example:
The Arastta trademark is used as part of the name of a company, organisation, trade name or association. For example:
- Arastta Users Germany
- Arastta Inc
- Arastta Bloggers Association
You would like to use the Arastta trademark as a part of an advertising campaign. For example:
- Google Adwords/Adsense
- Facebook promoted posts
- A television advertisement
If you're not sure whether your use qualifies for automatic approval or not, please ask!
Applying for Permission
If you would like to apply for permission to use the Arastta trademark based on the guidelines above, please email us directly on contact[at]arastta.info including your full details and the details of your requested use.
Your application's approval will be considered based primarily on whether the product or service in question...
- suggest an offical link or could lead to confusion about being an official project
- promotes Arastta usage around the world
- is released under an open source license compatible with Arastta's license
- is created by significant contributors to the Arastta open source project
- has a positive impact on the overall Arastta community
Rules of Usage
With the exception of the "nominative fair use" of the Arastta trademark, your use of the trademark is subject to the following rules (irrespective of whether you received automatic or explicit permission for use):
- Any use of the Arastta trademark indicates acceptance of this policy.
- The Arastta trademark cannot be used for illegal, defamatory or humiliating purposes, or any other purpose that may negatively impact the Arastta software or Arastta Association.
- Wherever possible, the Arastta trademark should be accompanied by the following text (or an appropriate translation): Arastta is a trademark of the Arastta Association.
These trademark rules and guidelines are subject to change at any time. It is your responsibility to check this agreement periodically for changes.